Friday, April 10, 2009

New and Used

YO!

So there's this "controversy" going around online in gamer circles, and has been for ever. It's basically gamers finding out the Gamestop (and really just about every other game retailer) opens copies of games to put out on display, but will (GASP) sell those games if it's the last copy as new. OUTRAGE!
I worked for EB about 5 years ago and yeah, we did that. It's what we had to do! When shipments of new games arrive, the publishers don't have the money to make special demo copies for every retailer in the world, so GS is forced to either "gut" a copy for display or put live merchandise out on the floor where any punk can come steal it.

Now, there's only one copy left you say? And it's the one whose box is on display? YAY! Buy it. Really, I as a life long gamer can not understand what the big deal is. Does the game work? Is the box and manual all there? If it's broken can I get it replaced? Yes to all three! It's new!

The weird gamers online seem to think that a game that is opened from it's magical factory shrink wrap is like a new car and should lose value the second it's opened. I don't. I guess it comes down to a problem consumers have in general, not just with video games. American consumers cannot seem to see that everything has a value. The good stuff the bad stuff the stupid stuff, it all has value. If a product is on the market at large and is being bought and sold from distributors, stores, and fellow consumers, it has a value attached to it. Unfortunately many consumers refuse to see the true market value and feel like they somehow know better what a product should be "worth". I think this mostly comes down to people wanting things they can't afford, but feel they deserve. So instead of saving their money up, working a little harder, or just waiting for the market to naturally go down a bit, they think the value should be lowered automatically to fit their budget and desires.

I want a motorcycle, but I only want to pay $57. If my local dealership will not cave to my desires, than they are performing terrible customer service and have lost me as a customer forever! (major sarcasm here, ya dig.)

I guess all I'm saying is that I try to look at products and services based on their VALUE. Are things overpriced? Hell yeah...for me. But there are others out there who see VALUE in what I think is overpriced and are perfectly willing to pay that price, just as I am free to not. Capitalism and consumerism aren't stupid concepts, there are just alot of stupid capitalist and consumers out there. OH WELL! I'm going to Starbucks!

SEEYABYE!

No comments:

Post a Comment