Friday, April 3, 2009

Privat Idaho and Elvis Costello

So we got the digital cable when we moved in recently, and I've been addicted to those music channels you get. You know the ones that just play music and have pictures and little facts? Well the one I watch the most is Retro-Active, which is all 80's pop music. They play a lot of Elvis Costello on it. I admit to never have really listened to any of his stuff. The more I hear these songs however, I find his brand of strong lyrics mixed with fairly up-beat, fun music is just the kinda thing I'm into. I love that "Peace, Love, and Understanding" song, and everything else I've hard seems interesting enough. I guess I'll have to go find a greatest hits comp or something to flesh out my knowledge of his stuff. I'm just saying, this could be my next big faze in music.

The other half of the title refers to one of the most irreverent yet totally awesome bands EVER. The B-52's. Another huge band oddly coming from Athens, Georgia (along with R.E.M. and some new hip band I can't remember right now) they have probably one of the most un-imitatable sounds in rock. Not that you can't imitate Fred Schneider's voice pretty easily (my old lead vocalist Greg does a fantastic Fred!), but no band could ever pull off the insane sounds these guys did and get away with it. I used to really not like the 52's, but after Greg and some other friends started a B-52's cover band and I was forced to hear them a lot, they really grew on me. I can certainly understands someones distaste for them, but to me it's pure, unbridled silliness and fun. Private Idaho is a great song (and rhymes with Costello...sorta) but my easy favorite B-52's song is the ever popular "Rock Lobster"! I guess I also like them for their totally bitch'n cameo in the first Flinstones movie!

Just don't ever make me hear "love shack" ever again...I hate that song....reminds me of high school dances. Ug.

Alright, off to do some work stuff before work (doesn't that suck).
Laters

The Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment